Monday, July 6, 2009

This one time at Church Camp

Okay, let's just start this off by stating some hard facts. Fact: We stayed on the fourth floor of some dorms, with no elevator. Fact: There was no air conditioning. Fact: Said dorm during the school year was a frat house. Fact: Frat houses smell of beer and pee. Fact: Sixteen girls, four bathrooms on the entire floor. Fact: At least seven girls started their little monthly friend during Velocity. Fact: Girls had to be on the floor by 11:30 p.m. and in their rooms by 12 midnight, breakfast at 7:30 a.m., look at the bathroom situation and think of showers. This little fact does not gel with my 8-10 hour sleep schedule.

All that being said, I will go again next year, definitely. I have never been so close to God. I have never seen God work in such amazing ways for so many people. One of our students had lost his faith, and re-discovered it. Three other students gave their lives to Christ while we were there. Totally amazing worship by the Phil Wing Band. Google them, book them in your church, buy Phil's CD to help him raise money to adopt his son from Africa. The Phil Wing Band, learn it, love it, live it. We had great speakers, that while they were speaking to the kids, spoke to my heart as well. We had an amazing last night of worship and prayer and I saw children asking each other for forgiveness, brothers, sisters, families, friends. Some kids called their parents afterwords and asked for forgiveness. Totally amazing and I am blessed to have been a part of it.

Don't get me wrong, church camp does not "fix" any child. Velocity is an amazing camp. About ten churches were there and we had tons of fun. It can only be a launching pad to further a child's faith, with plenty of back-up at church and home. I would highly recommend Velocity to any church looking for an amazing camp for their youth group. I am not trying to be an advertisement, it just is that good. Perfect balance of God and fun. One pastor, who had previously been to Velocity and then transferred to New Jersey, actually brought his youth group all the way to Ohio for the camp. Totally worth it.

Have you ever been to church camp? What great stories do you have? Any horror stories? Share the love. I missed all of you this week, but I will go again next year. Praise, praise, praise.

God bless you and yours.

1 comment:

hiyahun said...

I absolutly LOVED going to camp when I was a teen. Not to get away form home or to be in the wild, but because of the closeness one can feel when out there alone with God and his creations. I did have the oppertunity to be a camp nurse once.The reward was the same and with a bonus. Now I see the reaction the others had when they got connected in their own way with God. WHat and even BIGGER blessing that is.