Thursday, July 9, 2009

Where are you going?

So, my children think, all of sudden, they can just walk out the door. "Be home by 9:00 p.m.", they mumble as they slam the front door. When it is ten in the morning and some such caca. Do children lose their memory? Are they new here? I need to know where you are, you need to check in (sometimes on the phone, sometimes face to face) and if plans change, I need to know that too. What the heck? Just because it is summer does not mean it is a free for all. Oh, and do not tell me where you are going. This has never been a democracy. They need to ask if they can go somewhere. Period. I pay the bills, Dad and I work, and we are the sole authorities in their little world.

Am I alone in this? It is mainly the two older ones. Although, since Velocity, Tyler has been better. Grant thinks because he is twelve years old, he has license to rule the neighborhood. Whatever. They will be thirty years old, and if they are still living at home, I need to know where they are going, who they are with, and when they will be home. Mostly, it's common courtesy. To me, as a mother, it is also common sense. If I don't know the parents, you are not sleeping over. If Ms. Stephanie (a made up name) isn't married to her boyfriend, and he lives there, you are not sleeping over.

And what the heck is the whole sleepover thing? Every day or night at least one of my children wants their friends to sleep over or they want to sleep over someone else's house. Come on, I know it is summer, but I am not a fan of sleepovers. Not because of the actual sleeping over. It is from the not sleeping and my kid being a ridiculous crab by 4:00 p.m. the next day. Hate the sleepovers. I am a nazi when kids sleep over. I make them hunker down by 10:00 and no more talking by 11:00. There will never be a need to stay up until 2:00 in the morning if you are under the age of 29. I am a complete tyrant about these things. That being said, I will make big breakfast of eggs, bacon, pancakes, yumminess for all the kids. And I will usually make carnival food for dinner. French fries, chili dogs, all that jazz. I do want them to have some fun, just not every single night of my summer.

How do you feel about where your kids are at? What about sleepovers? Share the love, or the hate for that matter.

God bless you and yours.

1 comment:

Baby Z's Mom said...

I agree about letting you know what, when, who etc. It doesn't stop when you move out either, ask my Mom. She makes us call her when we go on road trips so she knows that no one died. I am calling you out on the no need to stay up til 2:00 if you are 29 bit. All I will say is New Years 20 yrs ago. I love ya, and agree with you, even on the sleepovers. I have a few years before they happen and I am already dreading them.