Friday, July 10, 2009

Youth Group Hangtime

So in the summer, we have much more casual youth group meetings. Our church calls them Hangtimes. I had volunteered to have the highschoolers here last night. Sounds insane, but you put up a volleyball net and have a bonfire and you are all set. It was, I thought, quite successful.

I love listening to their conversations and Stevo playing the guitar. It's just great hanging out with these teenagers. I am amazed at myself that I love these kids. I never thought I would dig hanging out with teenagers. Although having a teenager can be a challenge, I love the kids he hangs out with. They are a great bunch of kids. Not perfect, but working on being good kids.

So with hotdogs, chips of every variety, pop, brownies and smores, I knew they would not starve. I kicked the last of them out by 11:30 and cleaned up and went to bed. Totally worth it. The dynamics of teenagers are unique and weird and wonderful. Every time I learn something new. Some of the music gets on my nerves, but that just means I am old. When I ask to have the radio turned down, I am acting my age, not my shoe size.

So, are there teenagers in your life? Do you love it or hate it or both.

God bless you and yours.

No comments: