Monday, January 26, 2009

Peace and Quiet, Yeah Right

Okay, I am on a quest for peace.  Peace and quiet.  With four children, this is next to impossible.  There is always something.  I am running every night of the week to something.  Drum lessons (which leads to absolutely no quiet), guitar lessons, girl scouts, youth group, band practice, etc. etc.  Cooper is not even involved in an activity and I am still running.  Somedays I am going in two different directions at the same time.  That is when Super mom kicks in.  That is not including the fundraising I am doing for the youth's mission trip, women's ministries, and my growth group (group bible study for our church).  So where is my peace and where is my quiet?

I have to steal it or create it.  As mother's we have always been a creative bunch.  As Erma Bombeck used to say, "We created hamburger helper before it came in a box."  We whip up meals in twenty minutes or less, pack lunches, check homework, clean under beds, the list goes on and on.  We get creative in our discipline, our work, our homes.  I even have close friends who are scrapbook wizards.  So now, in the chaos of our lives, we need to create some peace.  But how to do this?

To create "mommy peace", I get up before everyone else, Monday through Friday.  I get up at 5:00am and exercise and read my bible.  That may sound insane, but it is my uninterrupted time to myself.  All me for an entire hour.  Saturday is sacred and my only day to sleep in.  Even the dogs know not to whine on a Saturday morning.  You have to carve out time to regenerate and renew yourself.  It is not something that should be put off or wait until next year's new year resolution.  Take time to find peace.

I find that if I take that time, I start my day in a calmer place.  Some of you may stay up after the kids go to bed to find your peace.  Whichever, as long as you do it.  When my babies were little, peace was found at nap time.  I cried for a month when the twins gave up naps, it killed me.  Nap time was awesome, I could get the older ones to have "quiet" time and could sit and have a cup of tea or try to get some work done around the house.  Loved nap time.  

So where in your life are you going to find peace today?  Let me know, I love new ideas.

God bless you and yours.

No comments: