Thursday, January 29, 2009

The missing sock.....

Okay, being Irish I think I am starting to believe in the "little people".  You know, leprechauns.  You think I am losing my mind, but seriously, I have no other explanation.  Stuff is going missing.  One sock, one mitten, one glove, one child.  Just kidding....about the kid that is.  How can I go to the store, every August, buy new underwear, new socks, school supplies, all that jazz, and not six months later, one sock of everybody's is missing?  Just one.  Someone is messing with my mind.  Seriously.  That lone sock staring at me from atop the dryer.  Mocking me.  Messing with me.  It is not under the bed, behind the hamper or under the mattress.  I have looked.  That is what they want me to do.  Then I give up, throw out the lone sock, and then find the other sock in the freezer or something.  Happens every time.

So where do the all the lost socks go?  And what about the mittens.  Janet cleaned out the gloves and scarves and we have thirteen unmatched pairs.  Thirteen for cripes sake.  What the heck.  I am not an idiot and so unorganized that my house is chaos.  I admit that when I had three in diapers, it was a different story.  But now that they are all in school, I can do this and do it well.  So what is happening to all the socks and mittens?  Call CSI or something.  I have no answers, only more questions.

Who comes in a steals the socks and then returns them just to mess with me?  Who is it?  I would suspect my husband, but he is so anal it bugs him more than me.  My only answer is the leprechauns.  Not because the socks go missing.  But because they show up only after I have lost all hope.  This is obviously the work of someone messing with the momma.

They better stay hidden, because there is nothing worse than a momma scorned.  Ask someone who called their precious little boy a cute little girl for the hundredth time.  They will not go home unscathed, they have to pay.  Nobody should mess with the momma.  We are tough, we are strong and we will not be messed with.

So what's missing in your house?  Share the love and if you catch the leprechaun, give him a good shot for me.

God bless you and yours.

5 comments:

hiyahun said...

My daughter can never find her shoes. she actually went to school yesterday with one shooe from each pair.Luckily the feet were right. Today she has the pairs matched, but the socks, well the fashion trend continues...

My son goes to his friends house with both socks and shoes on, but almost every time he comes home no socks...I have him started on saving his allowance to buy new socks, this helps when he wants to buy a toy, but socks are gone....LOL

Baby Z's Mom said...

We lost a headband yesterday. In the parking lot @ school in broad daylight. We looked, it just evaporated into thin air. We are also missing socks, but whole pairs, not just one. WHOLE pairs, I know we had alot when winter started & now we are down to like 6 pairs. I must have lost a whole load of laundry to be missing all her socks!! Our lone socks always show up in the laundry, but not the laundry of the person missing the sock. If it is mine, it will somehow get into Hiram's wash. Don't know how they do it, maybe they actually have legs & feet.

Anonymous said...

What's not missing?? one goalie glove, one running shoe, a french horn (those are big), a snake (showed up in the linen closet, snug as a bug in a pillowcase) My leprachauns go for the big stuff!

As for socks and underwear; the washer repairman pulled about 15 items out of an unknown space in the washing machine. Why does Kenmore design it that way?? At least now I know how to do it myself, I made him show me. I will never again pay some guy $70 to pull my own undies out of the washer and give me a look. Mortifying - he should have paid me!!

Melis said...

My son had a missing shoe for WEEKS! That si what actually first inspired my very first blog! How do you lose a shoe???and on more than one occasion?? As for socks, we are in the same boat! I keep saying I am going to throw out all the "stragglers" and start fresh with all the same socks, one type for each family member, I just can't bring myself to do it~!

Kay Klebba said...

Melissa,

All the socks go on sale in August for back to school. Do it. I do, then write their initials in permanent black marker on the bottom of the socks. It helps, but I still lose socks.