Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Beautiful Silence...

After a chaotic summer of petty arguments, back biting, fighting over the gaming station, fighting over which show to watch, finally, a little silence. You see, all my children went to school and I did not have to work until later in the morning. So after forgetting backpacks, putting on shoes, getting all lunches packed, etc., I sat on the couch and listened to the quiet.

I believe there is a wonderfulness to the quiet. The perfect balance of a dog at my feet, a cup of coffee in my hand and the quiet. I used to laugh hilariously at the Cosby show. Every fall, Cliff and Claire would have this huge celebration on the first day of school. Taking back the house. Yeah, baby. Celebrate. Kids are in school. If I clean a room, when I walk back into the same room, it will still be clean. That alone is a minor miracle. I can go to the store and not come home to two kids beating the crud out of each other. Life is good.

I think that it is okay to like the silence. There is nothing wrong with liking the peace and quiet of an empty home. I love it when they are home too. I love having a houseful of kids, I just like it better when they are so tired from school, they don't have the energy to fight. Or they are so bogged down with homework, they don't have time to fight. That's what I call peace and quiet.

Do you ever find yourself listening to the quiet? I am all about it.

God bless you and your quietness.......

No comments: