Friday, May 29, 2009

Mosquitos

So, here in the great state of Michigan, we have had a wet spring.  That means, the mosquitos are out in force.  They pretty much are the state bird here.  Usually, you have some kind of reprieve until the end of June, but alas, no.  My children are covered in big old red spots.  I tell them not to scratch to no avail.

So what is your best mosquito repellant that won't poison my children?  Some swear by Skin So Soft by Avon.  Some swear by "bug" bracelets (these are my personal favorite).  Some swear by citronella candles.  I know too much deet is really, really bad for you, but it really, really works.  So what to do?  Try everything and then use benedryl spray on the bug bites?

I do have a home remedy that absolutely works for taking the itch out of the bites.  All kinds of bites, mosquito, ant bites, whatever.  Spit and Salt.  Okay, you don't have to use saliva, you can use plain old water, but get the bite wet enough to hold some salt.  Sprinkle on the salt and don't touch the bite until the salt is dry.  It takes the bug poison out of the bite, no itch.  That one is from my mother.  Who was right.  Scary.

I do know that Burt's Bees makes an excellent, all natural, no deet, bug repellant that actually works.  I tested it in bug infested Tennessee and it worked wonders.  The problem with bug repellant is you actually have to remember to put it on, which I usually forget to do, so I still get bug bites.

Again, I appeal to you, what is your remedy to get rid of the pesky little critters, and I have no objections to just squishing them, but it is kind of gross after awhile.

God bless you and yours, happy scratching.

No comments: