Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A milestone in the making

So today, my first born starts driver's training.  He stands a head taller than me.  He has a curfew of 11:00 p.m. and doesn't break it.  My baby is going to be driving.  When did that happen?  

Wasn't it just yesterday that I held him in my arms for the first time?  I was completely drugged out after a C-section and could barely hold him, but I remember it.  He was 9 lbs, 10 oz. I had just given birth to a three month old child.  He had blonde hair and the biggest blue eyes.  I remember his first steps, his first words, and his first stitches.  We have been through various broken bones, an emergency appendectomy in the middle of the night and countless hurts and growing pains.  I have rubbed his upset stomach and carried him inside of me and he was my first child to fall asleep on me and I just held him for hours and hours.

He loves baseball and skateboarding and playing the guitar.  He recently told us that God has called him to be a Youth Pastor.  Amazing.  He humbles me, he truly does.  He also frustrates me, talks back, teases me, and is a typical teenage boy.  It doesn't seem possible to me that he is fifteen.  He is so grown up in so many ways.  Letting go is hard for me, but necessary in this crazy thing we call life.  I cannot protect him in every way I wish I could.  He will make mistakes and have to live with them and learn from them.  

So, as I take him to driver's training and will eventually let him drive me around, I take this moment to remember his little hand in mine.  Now his hand envelopes mine.  He's growing up.  If I am this sappy at driver's training, can you imagine his graduation or prom or, gasp, his wedding.  Yikes, I better get this under control.  Oh wait, then I would not be me, sappy girl.

What milestone is your oldest child coming up to?  Share the love.

God bless you and yours.


2 comments:

Christmas with CWG said...

My boys are starting high school in the fall. Eeek! And, yes, one of them can just rest his chin on top of my head. It makes me feel a little silly, actually...

Baby Z's Mom said...

I dropped my baby off this morning in the "big friends" room. Six days after turning 3 she has transistioned to the PRESCHOOLERS room. I cried on the way to work. My gosh, I can only imagine how I will be when she's older. Kay, when did Tyler grow up, he still has to be that little guy who was all boy and not afriad of anything! Where does the time go?