Friday, March 6, 2009

Okay, so I'm a stress eater

Not to say that I eat stress, but I eat when I am stressed out.  I admit it.  I consider it a fault, but I am trying.  Since January I have been eating right (lots of brown rice, veggies, chicken, fish, fruit) and I have been getting on the treadmill five days a week.  If I want a Hershey's kiss, I eat one, to prevent me from eating the whole dang bag.  Sensible right?  Even lost twelve pounds and some inches, I plan to keep on going.

That being said.........Yesterday we got some news that was very stressful.  If you are on my personal email, you know the story, it is too long and drawn out to explain here.  Most of the day, I did alright.  Had my healthy breakfast, healthy snack, mostly healthy lunch, with a scoop of my favorite ice cream.  Then came the cookies, the french fries and chicken nuggets, the rest of my veal parm from the restaurant the night before and a brownie and just one spoon of fudge brownie ice cream to round out the night.  It seems like when I am maxed out, the food just keeps coming.  I know it is a trigger.  I can tell you that I know it is not good for me, but there you go.

My ulcer let me know right away that fried food and the acid level in my stomach do not mix.  I went to bed feeling slightly ill and still stressed out.  I am back on the band wagon today, got on the treadmill at 5:00a.m. and now am writing to you.

I think this is a uniquely girl problem.  Men punch things or yell when they are stressed out.  I have never seen a man passed out on a couch, candy wrappers strewn around, cookie crumbs on his chest, clutching a spoon in on hand and an empty carton of Ben and Jerry's in the other.  I cannot even picture it.  But I can even see Julia Roberts on that couch.  Maybe not Paris Hilton, but I dislike her so much that I try not to picture her anywhere but finding God and doing something meaningful with her life.

So, am I normal?  Should I learn to just exercise when stressed out?  I think my legs would fall off.  I believe that God is with us and watching over the whole scene and while we don't understand everything right now, it is all for His Glory.  That is a pretty big step for me, releasing it all to God.  So am I a bad Christian for praying while I am eating a brownie?  I did not lose faith, I just ate a brownie.

What in your life stresses you out?  I mean besides the every day junk we as moms do on a daily basis.  What do you do when that hits?  Let me know.

God bless you and yours.

2 comments:

Dawn Cartwright said...

I bake. And bake. And bake. Kit says he can tell my stress level by the amount of goodies around the kitchen. Even my kids ask what is stressing me. And then I eat. And eat and eat and eat. Must be in the genes. Dad's side. Although he doesn't eat many sweets - go figure, he's a man.

Baby Z's Mom said...

I eat when bored or stressed out. If I am on complete overload, I stop eating, not good, even junk food is better than no food. Don't worry about praying & eating a brownie, God gets it. I know you have given the situation up to God, but it takes your body a day or two to catch up with your mind and relax a bit knowing you are in good hands. Hang in there hon, it will work out.