Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Mom Guilt

So, on my one day off this week, in the middle of frantic coupon clipping (saved $70.00 on one trip), I get the call from school.  Tatum is sick and needs to be picked up.  I have a feeling it is strep throat and take her to the doctor.  It's strep throat.  Just a quick note, if your child's breath smells like medicine, it's strep throat.  That is just one of the signs.  Headache, stomach ache, fever, looking white as a sheet, all these things are clues too.  That being said, she was happy as a clam going to school.  I am not that bad a mother.  Strep can come on quickly.

Last night, my dear sweet baby girl asked if I worked today, when I said I did, she burst into tears.  I feel like a heel.  I big heel.  Explaining that grandma would be here to watch her just made her cry more.  "I want my mom home".  Just stick the dagger in and twist it in my chest.  My gosh, I feel horrible.  I still have to go to work and make the coffee.  I have to work 20 hours a week to keep our benefits.  If I don't, we lose our health coverage.  So off to work I go with the weight of the world on my shoulders.

Question, do men feel guilty?  As we are standing in the doorway with puke on our shoulders, not showering in days and holding a crying child, does guilt come into the picture?  I love my husband and he is wonderful, but it would never enter his mind to call in sick to work because our kids are sick.  And the children would not want him anyways. Not that they love him less, but there is something about a mom.  They don't cry out for dad in the middle of the night.  It is always mom wailed in the middle of night.

So what makes you feel guilty?  Sick kids, daycare, not enough time in the day?  Let me know.

God bless you and yours.

2 comments:

Melis said...

Oh yes, can I relate! I have been a SAHM for 14yrs anddecided to work part time 8 months ago. At first it wasnt so bad, it was summer. But when school started, that was it..the kids started with we miss you at night, even my 14yr old! I meen, it takes alot to get him to tell me how he "feels" thatt is when it hit me...GUILT! Luckily, we have our benifits through DH, but this income was used for our weekly grocery bill.....I am now facing a big challenge! SO, I feel your pain, Sister! LOL! Oh, and the BTW, $70 saved on one trip! You rock!
Hang in there and I hope your little one feels better :)
Blessings ><>Melissa

Baby Z's Mom said...

I so know what you mean. Sickness strikes at our house when we just absolutely can not stay home with the munchkin. Hubby will stay home with her if he can which helps, but I then I feel bad that he had to use a sick day AND the kid is sick. At least we have a good friend that does daycare in her home, so if it's not catching, she can go there and I have guilt then too. I just can't wait until my job settles down and I am not so depended on. It's hard when all your priorities are on the same level at times. Guess that's why I have given up house work to spend more time with the family. Then hubby helps out more, good trade if you ask me and no guilt. LOL.