Monday, February 2, 2009

Letting Go.....a little

So, my eleven  year old son, Grant went on winter retreat this past weekend.  That was a tough one for me.  Tyler went on a mission trip last summer, and I was mostly okay, but he was fourteen and very involved in our youth group.  Grant has, up to now, mostly stayed on the fringes and that was okay with me too.  I had to let my little guy get on a bus and get going.  

It's not to say that he hasn't had sleepovers, but those are usually in the neighborhood.  The retreat was two hours away.  It's not that I don't trust the youth leadership in our church, I do one hundred percent.  It's the fact that Grantie Bear is my most daring child.  He will climb a tree and jump out of it, he does not fear much.  He will try anything.  We have been to so many Urgent Care facilities, I keep wondering when CPS is going to come a knockin'.  Between stitches and broken bones, he has had the most in his little life and I admit to some trepidation to the whole going two hours away thing.

The phone rang early Saturday morning and I was sure I was heading out to meet someone at a local hospital.  But it was just one of Tatum's friends.  No emergency phone calls, picked him up at the scheduled time.  The only thing that was wrong with him was he lost his voice, from too much screaming.  Oh, he was dead tired from dodge ball too.  

But last night, as I was reading in bed (did not stay up for the rest of super bowl), he came and laid down with me, but quickly shuffled off.  "You going to bed honey?"  I asked.  "No, I am going to go read my bible," he said.  Wow, going off to read his bible.  Getting closer to God.

So my middle child, my fearless child, my Grantie bear, was going off to bed a little early so he could read his bible.  He is getting closer to God.  All I had to do was let go.

God is good.  Where in your life as a mother do you have a hard time letting go?  Let me know.

God bless you and yours.

No comments: