Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve

Okay, I am old.  I admit it.  New years to us is no longer about great outfits and parties not to be believed.  It is about jammies and playing games and movie marathons with our kids.  I usually don't make it to midnight either.  See?  I am old.  But I am also not willing to risk life and limb to go out and make a fool of myself.  At least not on a night when everyone else is doing that.

When the kids were little, Scott and I would sometimes go out on New Years Eve.  In our old neighborhood, Lesley and Scooter would have a games night and all of us would have three or four sitters at one house and all the kids there.  That was so much fun.  As our kids got older, they wanted us to stay home and do games, so we started  a new tradition.  It's kinda silly, but fun.

We make all of our favorite hors devours for dinner.  Cowboy dip (sometimes called Alpo dip), bacon wrapped water chestnuts, fried everything, potato chips and onion dip, and shrimp and cocktail sauce.  That is our dinner and snacking for the night.  We either have a movie marathon or play games like monopoly all night or both.  Sometimes we make it to midnight, sometimes we don't, but we are together and happy and not out their with all the drinkers trying to get home.  I love it.

New Year's Day we sleep in and watch football and eat leftovers if there are any.  Simple but wonderful.  Our kids look forward to that now and ask what we are eating, make their suggestions and get out the games.  Good times and wonderful memories.

What do you do on New Year's Eve?  Let me know.

God Bless you and yours.

2 comments:

Baby Z's Mom said...

We used to go out to friends houses, stay the night have fun. Now we stay in, have our traditional grasshopper drink & call it a night before 12.

Kay Klebba said...

Oh my gosh Lees, we are old, but I don't mind. We can't stay up until 5:00a.m. anymore.