Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Perfect Christmas Picture

I will never forget my quest for the perfect Christmas picture.  The twins were six months old and Tatum being my only girl, I had plans.  A perfect little velvet dress for her, nice little outfits with velvet vests for the boys.  All in a beautiful burgundy.  It would be our perfect Christmas Picture.  I could not wait to get it taken and get it in the mail.  Wouldn't everyone be sooooo jealous of my perfect little family in our perfect little picture.  Perfect.

I get all the children dressed and ready to go to the best photo studio.  Of course, it was Kiddie Kandids and they do not take appointments, it is first come, first serve.  No problem, I am standing outside, fifteen minutes before opening and I am ready.  The kids cannot eat or drink anything, they could mess up the good outfits.  We get into the studio, get set up and...........not one good picture.  The twins were crawling in different directions, Grant was trying to get off the podium, Tyler was making bunny ears.  One painful hour later, not one picture, not one.  

Do I do what any normal person would do and just give up?  Heck no, I just figured it was because I was by myself in the excursion.  So I did it all again the next week, with my mom in tow.  Surely between the two of us, the photo gal and four children, we could get a good photo.  Just one, I only needed one.  Velvet dress, good outfits, just one.  Two hours later, not one picture.  The kids are exhausted, I am just about in tears, and not one picture.  

We ended up that year, putting the kids in white turtlenecks, overalls and a pink bow scotched taped to Tatum's head and taking the picture on our sectional couch.  Just Scott and I and the kids, looked pretty good.  Amazing.

Why tell you all of this, to save you from yourselves.  We all have delusions of grandeur this time of year.  We have a quest.  It could be for the perfect toy, the perfect picture or the perfect gingerbread house.  We all do it.  We say to ourselves, "If I just do this one thing, everything else will fall into place and we will enjoy our perfect Christmas."  Let me tell you, there is no such thing.  My mother-in-law almost achieved it one year, had the house completely, beautifully decorated, everyone about to arrive and one of the grandkids (who shall remain nameless) was going around blowing out all the candles.  Missed it by that much.

My favorite part of the Christmas story is Luke 2:19, "But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart."

That is what we need to do in the midst of this holiday chaos, ponder and treasure.  I can ponder and treasure the silliest and most unique moments.  Laugh instead of cry when something goes amiss.  Try hard to do just that, take a moment and watch the snow fall, or a sunset (for my desert friends), or go to the mall and YOU sit on Santa's lap.  Be silly and forgiving and have fun.  Keep the smile on, no matter what.

God bless you and yours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have no excuse for the perfect Christmas picture - my kids are 12, 14, and 16. Still can't do it - They can sit still but then it's the fake "how soon will we be done" smile - I'll make a collage of the real smiles individually and be done with that!
Have a cocktail and watch the sun set - much better!