Monday, December 15, 2008

A Long Winter's Nap

So I hibernated on Friday and went to work, and did not pour a latte on anyone.  See??  Hibernation works.  Just some quiet time under the covers and you can usually come out the other side in a better place.  

This brought up a wonderful memory to me.  It's going to sound so weird, but......I was remembering when the kids were little.  Before school age.  I was thinking about when I would get sick.  Really sick.  Pneumonia sick.  Sick.  The house would fall apart and it would take almost a month to get it back.  Even a stay at home mom can't really call in sick.  You slump your way through the day, the best you can, but at the risk of passing out, you don't do your normal clean up, the laundry, anything but the bare minimum.  This leaves you at least ten days behind.  If a mom takes one full day off, she is ten days behind.  This is a fact of life.  But that's not my memory.

I was remembering the first time all the kids were in school all day and I got sick.  I took them to school in my robe and slippers and came home and went back to bed.  No one asking for juice, no fighting over what movie to watch next, no getting up to make lunch, I took a nap.  When you are sick, you need to sleep.  It was like someone granting me permission to be sick.  Plus, no small ones messing up the house, now I am only behind on the breakfast dishes and the laundry.  That is do-able.  Definitely.  It was so wonderful.  And so quiet.  

How crazy is it that now that the kids are older, I don't mind being sick?  I can handle it.  I can catch up.

It does not take much to make us happy.  Just a little down time when we truly need it. 

God bless you and yours.

No comments: