Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Hello Friends

I am blessed with some wonderful friends.  We as women need really good, really close, girlfriends.  I mean, giggling for no reason, know where all your skeletons are buried (mine are directly behind the Devil House in Tempe, AZ), call at 2:00a.m., friends.  I guess I feel so incredibly blessed because as I sat to write this, at least six gals came to mind.  You know who you are.  

I do feel that you have to be a good friend to get a good friend.  You have to giggle for no reason.  You have to help bury the skeletons.  You have to take the call at 2:00a.m.  I once read that a good friend will bail you out of jail, a great friend will be sitting next to you saying, "I can't believe we did that."  I am little past the jail thing.  Friendships evolve over time.

My oldest and dearest friends, along with myself, would have laughed long and hard at the thought of me being married with four kids, writing Christian literature, being active in my church, all the things I am now.  Of course, we were twenty-one and going to the bars and being stupid and young and stupid.  I do not live with regrets, I feel that all the things I have done in my life have brought me to the place I am now, the parent I am now, the friend I am now.  But I do want better for my kids.  My friends don't go to the bars anymore either.  We do have an occasional girls night out, but we all still have to get up the next morning and face our very active lives, and our children.  We have evolved.

Great friendships only get better over time.  Miles between friends can never diminish their love for each other.  I can always call one of my best gals and pick up where I left off.  There is no recriminations for not calling or emailing every week.  Great friends don't keep score, there is no score, there are only giggles over tea in your living room.  Usually with dogs in our laps, even the "you are not a" lap dogs that weigh 200 pounds.  Giggling over the nothingness of something stupid that happened at the PTA.

Great friends encourage you and can be totally honest with you and you move on and keep going.  I am truly blessed by great friends and I hope I am a great friend in return.

This is a reminder to all of us who are really busy in our lives, take a minute and call your girlfriend, she loves you and cannot wait to hear from you today.  You know who she is.

Take an hour, because you know it will take at least an hour, and call your girlfriend.  The dishes can wait.

God bless you and yours.

No comments: