Friday, May 21, 2010

Man Trip

So my baby, I should say my first baby, who just turned sixteen is on a man trip. Six friends, all Christians, going out to explore the "mitten" that is Michigan. They leave this morning, are headed across the state and then they are doing the perimeter of the mitten. Home on Sunday.

I have to say, I was not crazy about this trip. Six boys, ages 22-16 in two cars, exploring Michigan together. Most would think it was a drinking, girl chasing trip. Most would be wrong. If I even had a doubt, which I do not, something that happened a couple of weeks ago would have squashed it.

The trip involves one of Tyler's small groups. That is our church's name for bible study. Tyler is involved in two and usually is reading another on the side. It humbles me how much he is on fire for God. They were meeting in our basement and I went downstairs to see if they needed snacks. I figured they would be mostly goofing off with a little bible stuff thrown in for good measure. I was wrong. They were diving into the book of Revelation and discussing and arguing points and really getting into the Word.

These are the same kids that went for a Pond run when it was 45 degrees out. A pond run involves only boys, in the middle of the night, and they swim and they don't wear suits. This is a part of male bonding I don't even pretend to understand. Much like peeing in the woods together and other uniquely male things I don't want to discuss that involve noises from various body parts.

So, my kid is off on his first real man trip. The company he is keeping is awesome, so I guess I am okay with this. I am just remembering when we traded his pacifiers for a batmobile. So grown up.

Anyone in your house taking a trip and growing up? Share the love.

God bless you and yours.

No comments: