Thursday, October 29, 2009

Halloween is approaching

I have to say, I do like Halloween. Candy, apple cider and all that jazz. I have pumpkin lights up, much like Christmas lights. I bought pumpkins. Unlike a lot of people in Michigan, I have no problem buying my pumpkins at Walmart. I do not have to go to a patch and pick my own and pay for the experience. I may try to grow some at some point in my life, but this year, I got them at Wallyworld.

I have made candy bags. I just cannot hand out one piece of candy. This is my mother-in-law's fault, as she started me on this journey. I do really miss Halloweenie. In our neighborhood in Az, we had hotdogs down in Kim's cul-de-sac and everyone brought something to share. Yummo. We all sat down there to hand out candy. If you were VIP, you could go into Kim's house to get some chili, a closely guarded secret. It was our own personal block party of fun. I miss that.

Here in Shelby Township, Michigan they have the BEST trick or treating protocol. At 7:00 p.m. the tornado siren goes off signaling the start of trick or treating. At 8:00 p.m. the same alarm goes off to signal the end of trick or treating. No late night ringing of the bell. No chaos. No children wandering until all times of the night. Awesome. Done in an hour. Love it. Everyone should do this everywhere, it just makes sense. The only thing that would make it safer would be to ban driving of all kinds on side streets during this time. I know that is a pipe dream, but there you go.

What Halloween traditions to you observe? Share the love.

God bless you and yours.

No comments: